Thursday, July 21, 2011

Organizing my floss stash!

I finally put all my DMC floss in numerical order in individual Ziploc baggies in a nice wooden box.  It was all thrown into a plastic bag before tonight!  I also printed a list of DMC colors and marked off the ones that I have.  But what took me the longest time was converting all my off-brand floss to DMC numbers.  I had a big gallon-size Ziploc bag full of old floss from Bucilla, Lily, Brilliante D'Alger, Royal Moulon, Peri-Lusta, American Thread, and JP Coats.  It was certainly an adventure searching for floss conversions and making a lot of guesses.  I'm looking forward to using these oddball colors in small projects where it doesn't really matter if the color is perfect.  Most of the cross stitch I do is in kits, and I've just started to use charts and my own floss.  Now I feel so organized and relieved to have that out of the way, even though I missed a whole day of stitching today! 

8 comments:

mdgtjulie said...

Glad you've gotten it all organized. I have floss left over from my kit for Lord of the Plains, and I just don't know what to do with it, lol.

Claudette497 said...

Good for you! It's a great feeling to be able to grab what you need, and Michael's has a 25%-off-your-purchase coupon this week if you're on their email list - just in case you want to round out your collection, lol. Ink Circles has a great collection of free Celtic Knots, so you can just pick the oddball colors you like and stitch a pretty ornament (or something).

SoCal Debbie said...

Julie, all of your projects are too big for bits of mismatched floss!

Claudette, thanks for the Michael's tip. I got their email and printed the coupons. I plan to shop there on Friday! I've seen the Celtic Knots on other blogs. Maybe I'll give it a try!

Glenna said...

My floss is actually the only thing I do have organized! It will certainly make it faster to find what you need. :) Happy Stitching!

Glenna

mdgtjulie said...

I know, Debbie, I know. It's a lot of floss, but I don't think the kit is current. I just hate to throw it away. Maybe I'll try doing some ornies...

Unknown said...

Mmmm, I think you are inspiring me to do a little stash sifting myself. It won't take all day tho' - I only have one container :)

Chrizette's World

Shelley said...

Isn't it such a great feeling of accomplishment getting your floss all organized. I remember when I did mine just a few short years ago. I couldn't imagine how I ever lived without it like it is now, lol!

Stitching Noni said...

Well done! Life is so much easier when your floss is organised! I have mine stored in ziplock bags in 3 boxes... but as yet I haven't got around to listing what I have - that is a job that I must do sooner rather than later!! i know that I have lots of some colours and none of others....

http://firefliescatsinthegarden.blogspot.com/