Friday, January 17, 2014

January WIPocalypse introduction

Happy 2014, everyone!  This is my first WIPocalypse posting for the new year.  This month's topic is to introduce yourself, your projects, and any goals you have for the year.  You can find links to everyone's January WIPocalypse check-in on Measi's Musings blog.

Hi!  I'm Debbie and I live in Southern California, so I use the nickname SoCal Debbie. I did some stitching in the 1990s but just got back to it three years ago, when I started this blog.  I stitched a wedding design for my best friend and she picked it up from my house.  The next day, I was going to meet her for lunch and I was in a car accident (hit by a drunk driver) in December 2010.  Thank goodness I wasn't delivering it to her that day because the car totally burned up, along with a different cross stitch project in the back seat that I was making for my grandma.  I ended up printing out a photo of the almost finished piece and framed that for her instead of starting over again!  Then I learned about the Crazy January Challenge 2011, and started 15 new projects in the first 15 days of January.  I was off work for six months recovering after the car accident and had plenty of time to stitch every day and be inspired by all the amazing blogs out there!  For the next three years, I was in the Ultimate Crazy January Challenge, where I started something new every day in January.

I work from home as a medical transcriptionist, so I don't have to commute or worry about the weather.  I have two dogs and three cats, which you might see pictures of in my blog sometime.   I'm in the SoCal Cross Stitchers Yahoo Group, so I get to meet other members at stitching get-togethers about once a month.

I have listed all of my WIPs (works-in-progress) on my WIPocalypse page, which is now up to 82.  Whenever I finish something, I will take it off that page and add it to the Finishes 2014 page.  After I start all my new ones in January, I will concentrate on 10 WIPs that I chose for the Turtle Trot SAL and post updates on them once a month. They are mostly BAPs so I only expect to finish a couple of them this year.  I'm also in several SALs (stitch-a-longs) where I stitch a certain project on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.  I'll also try to finish a small design each month for the 2014 Smalls SAL.  I can also stitch anything else from my WIP list whenever I feel like it.

Now I'm going to visit the January WIPocalypse check-in to learn all about the rest of you!

15 comments:

Linda said...

What a great intro Debbie. I would totally know all about you (if I didn't already) lol.

Linda

Anonymous said...

Nice to meet you Debbie :) Love your wips and always like to see them on your blog

AnaCristina said...

Congratulations on your engagement! I liked to know a little of your life story.

Preeti said...

Now I got to know about your name 'SoCal' :) it was nice to know more about you. Congrats for your engagement and wish you a very happy life ahead!!
You have so many stitching SALs planned. Looking forward to see your progress on all of them and whatever you stitch. I envy your weekend stitching meets:)

Katie said...

Wow I'm glad Measi had us post introductions. I didn't know this about you. So sorry about your accident and I'm so glad you weren't hurt worse. Congrats on your engagement! I look forward to getting to know you even more this year.

Pat said...

Thanks for sharing Debbie and congrats on your engagement!

Kaisievic said...

Hi, Debbie!

Rachel said...

Impressive list of WIPs! Looking forward to seeing your progress on them this year.

Basia said...

Congratulations on your engagement. I have been twice to California and it seems to be a place where you never need to worry about the weather LOL You have a very impressive WIPocalypse list :)

Loretta said...

Pleasure to meet you Debbie. Congrats on your engagement.

After seeing your WIP list, I don't feel so bad when I add another one to mine.;)

Take care and happy stitching!!!!

Miamina said...

Congratulations of the engagement! What a wonderful way to start the year!

Although I've been a follower for a while, it's lovely to know a bit more about you. What a lovely group of projects you've picked for WIPocalypse!

Joysze said...

Congrats on the engagement, Debbie!! When's the big day?? So nice getting to know you a little more! I thought about doing medical transcribing quite a few years back.

You've got some great projects started. Can't wait to see them take shape! :D

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for the introduction! I always read your nickname as Social Debbie so I jus thought you were really friendly and sociable!

Glad to hear you recovered from the accident and big congratulations on the engagement.

Lija Broka said...

Congratulations on the engagement!

I have forgotten how many projects you have! Makes one's mouth water.

Blogger said...

Get daily ideas and instructions for generating $1,000s per day ONLINE totally FREE.
CLICK HERE TO START IMMEDIATELY